- Location: City Hall Lobby – 202 C Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)
- Free Hours: 1st Saturday of each month from 9:30 AM to Noon, starting February 2nd
- Best For: Pardon requests, autograph seekers, the politically active, pothole complaints
- Website: http://www.sandiego.
In addition to many other items in his first State of the City address on January 15th, newly elected mayor of San Diego Bob Filner announced that he will hold ‘open hours’ on the first Saturday of each month to be available to the public. These open hours will take place in the lobby of San Diego City Hall and run from 9:30 AM to Noon. Residents don’t need an appointment and are welcome to come and share whatever is on their mind.
The opportunity to interact with our elected officials is a great chance to voice concerns, raise complaints, and get a better sense of our elected officials as people. I’m glad to see these open hours being established and hope it is a symbol of greater openness from City Hall. Along with the potential establishment of an Open Government Office headed by Donna Frye the momentum appears to be for better transparency and more public information in San Diego in the future. This is a very good thing.
If you can’t make it to downtown, check the website for your city council member. There are frequent coffee hours and other opportunities to meet these representatives. I attended one such meeting with Todd Gloria a few months ago and although I didn’t reside in his district at the time it was a great opportunity to voice some concerns and suggestions I had, as well as to meet some new fellow San Diegans.
John P. Anderson
Latest posts by John P. Anderson (see all)
- Fall Brewing Company Joins North Park Beer Scene - November 22, 2014
- SDFP Street Beat: 4th & 5th Avenue Bike Lanes – A Win for All - October 22, 2014
- The Rent Is Too Damn High? How About the Cost of Cars? - March 28, 2014