By Bill Adams/UrbDeZine San Diego
Walk San Diego rated La Mesa as 2013′s most walkable city in San Diego County. The number one reason for the City’s walkability happened 100 years ago.
It’s the traditional town pattern of it’s historic center. It’s a pattern that is relatively rare in Southern California but seen everywhere in the East and Midwest U.S.:
- narrow streets (even its main commercial street La Mesa Blvd.),
- small densely (for suburbia) developed lots,
- human scaled and architecturally diverse development,
- pedestrian amenities (e.g., the “secret stairs”), which were created when that was the primary form of short distance travel,
- and a railway (now trolley) through the center of town.