Field of View: An Alaskan Adventure

My trip to Alaska was the result of a year of planning and not-so-patiently waiting. I knew it would be wonderful, especially to see old family friends after such a long time, but I never imagined it would become an experience of a lifetime.

I arrived in Anchorage, traveled by car to McCarthy/Kennecott  and then headed to Valdez. When my week was up, I hopped on a ferry from Valdez to Whittier and caught a train back to Anchorage before getting on a red-eye flight headed home. It was a lot of travel packed into a short time, but in Alaska so much of the beauty can be seen while in motion.

To anyone who will listen, I can’t say enough good things about our 49th state. The people are friendly, the air is crisp, the water is fresher than Evian and the mountains are so tall they never ceased to take my breath away. These pictures really don’t do it justice, but I hope you enjoy them as much as I did taking them.

All photos by Annie Lane unless otherwise noted.

Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to Annie Lane’s photo column “Field of View” and get an email every time a new article in this series is posted!

Annie Lane

Annie Lane

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours. - Wayne Dyer
Annie Lane

Comments

1. avatarJack Hamlin says

Love the photos Annie, but can’t say enough good things? Isn’t that where Sarah Palin is from?

• avatarAnnie says

Ha! You have a point. The good news is there was a general disdain among the locals we met at the mere mention of her name. Her fan base appears to be limited to her family.

2. avatarjudi says

When I was much younger and living in the Bay area, Ansel Adams was offering a photography class in Alaska that I signed up for. The anticipation was tremendous and for days I did research on the places we would visit and photograph. You can imagine how disappointed I was when just two weeks before the class it was cancelled because of illness. Looking at your pictures brings back those feelings I had when told we were not going. So…since I didn’t go with Mr. Adams, are you available for a “tutoring class?” The pictures are astoundingly beautiful. I envy you, Ms. Lane.

• avatarAnnie says

Oh my gosh, an Ansel Adams class would have been amazing! I’m so sorry it didn’t work out. I would love to go on a photography date with you.

3. avatarJack Hamlin says

Hey Annie, all teasing aside, that guy you live with was showing me all those ice tunnel photos in the glacier. I found them absolutely fascinating and beautiful. You could probably write an entire article around the experience. Well it looks like you got the Jack London experience…I’ll have to settle for the Hemingway experience in Key West later this summer. Thank you for sharing. Jackets, sweaters, long underwear v. shorts, aloha shirt and flip-flops…hmmmm….

4. avatarKatherine Walters says

Loved seeing the trip through your eyes. What a great time with you. Make sure you come again! And those shrimp WERE fresh and good!!

• avatarAnnie Lane says

Katherine, there is just no way I won’t be back up there. I enjoyed it so much, and seeing you and the whole fam damily was the best part. You’re an amazing and gracious host. Thanks for every minute.

Trackbacks