Field of View: OB Farmers Market

by on August 17, 2012 · 6 comments

in Field of View, Food & Drink

I arrived at the Farmers Market in Ocean Beach a little late, but there was still plenty to see and taste. The sinking sun set Newport Avenue aglow, and there was quite the  bustling of activity even as vendors slowly began to close up shop.

The Farmers Market runs from 4 to 8 p.m. during the summer and 4 to 7 p.m. during the winter every Wednesday. It takes place on Newport Avenue between Cable and Bacon streets.

All photos by Annie Lane.

Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to Annie Lane’s photo column “Field of View” and get an email every time a new article in this series is posted!

Annie Lane

Annie Lane

If you don't feel it, flee from it. Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated. - Paul F. Davis
Annie Lane
Annie Lane
Annie Lane

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

avatar Gordon Wagner August 17, 2012 at 8:02 am

I haven’t gotten down there in ages… is the guy with the incredible pies still there?

avatar judi August 17, 2012 at 10:39 am

Missed seeing you there, Annie, but what I did see were a zillion dogs, some being carried by their masters, some being dragged by leash, and some running around without any leash at all. And some of them are so tiny – It makes you wonder if the owners have any more sense than their animals. It was very hot; very muggy; very crowded; and must be very uncomfortable for the dogs. It was certainly uncomfortable for this shopper.

avatar Dave August 17, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I think OB is the best Farmers Market in SD. It can get a little crowded, but I’d rather a good crowded market than a crappy one with nobody there. As for dogs, I agree that there are some that should not be there, but that is OB for you. As a solution to the crowd, once you get to know your vendors and see the same ones every week, you can just cut through the middle and walk straight down Newort since it is closed to traffic.

OB FM has tons of organic fruit and veg, a few flower trucks (Alfredo Hidalgo has the best and freshest), and CJ’s bakery has the pies and cookies. Sometimes there is fresh fish, always glassware, dog tag maers, candy apples, jewelery, James Gang t-shirts, and amazing street food. I recommend the “Torpasta” from Divine Pastabilities, as well as the giant pizza and African delights like sambusas. Bottom line, I go there a lot, so plese feel free to ask any questions you may have.

OB Dave

avatar Karen Wilson-Bonnar August 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Judi, I agree with your comments about the dogs. Not very hygienic, around food. Dogs belong on leashes unless they are at a dog park or dog beach. Irresponsible dog owners are making it uncomfortable to walk in many areas of ocean beach.

avatar judi August 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I think I am disturbed by two factors: One is the dog that is being held while its owner leans over the food to try a free sample and the other is the dog that lifts its leg on the table leg and the owner is completely unaware. (At least I think they are unaware.) I would never bring my dog to a gathering of this sort, even though he would love it. It’s not fair to others.

avatar Frank Gormlie August 21, 2012 at 9:14 pm

You certainly have a knack for color and lighting, Annie.