- Cafe Virtuoso – 1616 National Ave, San Diego, CA 92113 (Barrio Logan),
Date and Time: Friday mornings at 8:30
- Bird Rock Coffee Roasters - 5627 La Jolla Boulevard, La Jolla, CA 92037 (Bird Rock / La Jolla)
Date and Time: Friday mornings at 10:30
Best For: Sleepy, Happy, Grumpy, and Bashful
Two of my favorite roasters, Cafe Virtuoso in Barrio Logan and Bird Rock Coffee Roasters (BRCR) in Bird Rock, also offering complimentary cuppings on Friday mornings for those interested in learning more about coffee and roasting.
- “Coffee cupping, or coffee tasting, is the practice of observing the tastes and aromas of brewed coffee”
- “Cupping – it’s like a wine tasting, only more energetic.”
BRCR was named the 2012 Micro Roaster of the Year by Roast Magazine and features an open-front cafe on La Jolla Boulevard that is both cozy and sunny. The staff is very friendly and there is a near-constant line at the counter. Whenever I head to La Jolla along the coast I stop by on my way and sit for awhile to relax.
Cafe Virtuoso has a focus on sustainability while providing great tasting coffees and teas. Their coffees are organic and certified fair trade so you can enjoy both good flavor and good karma while enjoying your morning (or afternoon) cup. You can find Cafe Virtuoso at the Little Italy Farmers Market on Saturday mornings as well.
To reserve a spot for either cupping call ahead. You can reach Cafe Virtuoso at (619) 550-1830 or Bird Rock Coffee Roasters at (858) 551-1707. Call by Thursday at the latest but earlier in the week is better to increase your chances of snagging a spot.
John P. Anderson
Latest posts by John P. Anderson (see all)
- How To Save $12,000 a Year in San Diego? Drive Less! - February 13, 2015
- Pedestrians As Safety Hazards - February 1, 2015
- Vacation Rentals In San Diego Under More Scrutiny - December 12, 2014