By Frances O’Neill Zimmerman
Time for newly-re-elected President Obama and the lame Congress of the United States to enact an assault weapons ban and to provide safeguards against easy access to guns and ammo. The old assault weapons law was allowed to expire a couple of years ago, thanks to craven legislators succumbing to pressure from the National Rifle Association.
Here’s my personal random list of incidents of mass-murder perpetrated by
unstable people with access to our uniquely American weapons of mass destruction.
1) Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CN.
2) The shopping mall at Clackamas, OR.
3) A house full of people in Seattle WA.
4) Mall murders and maiming of Rep. Gaby Gifford in Tucson AZ.
5) Columbine High School in CO.
6) Virginia Tech VA.
7) “Batman” movie in Aurora, CO.
8) Washington, D.C./ Northern Virginia random freeway shootings.
9) Chardon High School in Chardon, O.
10) Santana High School in Santee (San Diego) CA.
11) Kelly Elementary in Carlsbad (San Diego) CA.
12) One-room Amish School in Lancaster County PA.
13) Westside Middle School near Jonesboro AK
In the 1960’s when people were dying in the South in racial conflicts, Texan and President Lyndon Johnson pushed through the Voting Rights Act.
Obama ought to do the same hard brave thing and get us an assault weapons ban.