One doesn’t need poll results to know that San Diego progressives, Democrats, and liberals are divided on the fate and future of Mayor Bob Filner. The poll that San Diego Free Press ran for two weeks magnifies and confirms that division.
To the question, “Should Mayor Filner Resign?”, a plurality said “no” – with over a third agreeing to this position – 38%.
In contrast, 33% said ‘yes’, he should resign, and 6% agreed to the statement ‘if he doesn’t resign, he should be recalled’. This leaves a total of 39% voting that Filner should either resign or be recalled.
A fifth of those polled – 20% – stated that needed more information from the women involved. 13% wanted more info from the mayor, and 2% said they wanted more from the original accusers.
A total of 420 respondents took part in the two-week poll, which began on Sunday, July 14 and ran through July 28th.
The poll was not conducted in a scientific manner, as it was up on the website’s sidebar for anyone to vote, and there was no way to screen just for San Diego voters. However, it was set up so that a person could only vote once within a month’s period (unless they figured out how to also vote from different sources).
There is also an assumption on the results that our readers are “progressive”, “liberal” or otherwise fall on the left side of the political spectrum. This cannot be absolutely verified. Any reader – regardless of their political persuasion – could have voted.
The poll, however, is reliable in the sense that it demonstrates that our readership is split on what Mayor Filner should do.
Here are the results:
Question: Should Mayor Filner Resign?
Answer – Votes – Percent
Yes. – 137 – 33%
No. – 159 – 38%
I need more information from Filner. 13 – 3%
I need need more information from Gonzalez, Fyre and Briggs. 2 – 0%
I need to hear from the women accusing Filner before deciding. 84- 20%
If he doesn’t resign, he should be recalled. 25 – 6%