“Bannering” against upcoming airshow on August 18
By San Diego Veterans for Peace
Each year, San Diego hosts the giant Miramar Air Show, which is attended by up to 500,000 people. This air show is typical of many other air shows around the country in that it attempts to glorify and glamorize war and militarism, as well as being an excellent opportunity for defense contractors and the overall military industrial complex to sell products which lead to the deaths and injuries of so many people on earth.
The San Diego Veterans For Peace, with veteran members of all five services, is opposed to these “war shows” and is asking the public to stay home and to provide more wholesome entertainment to their children and families than the Miramar Air Show provides.
The Miramar Air Show:
- Glorifies war with an exciting and colorful show of speed, power and noise.
- Celebrates the skills and machinery that exist to kill, maim and destroy.
- Misuses taxpayer’s money for entertainment and defense industry marketing and sales.
- Is dangerous – 10% of Blue Angel’s pilots have been killed in accidents. Miramar jets have already crashed in San Diego neighborhoods.
- Serves as a misleading recruiting tool for our unsuspecting youth.
Over the next 5 years San Diego Veterans for Peace intend to encourage the public to recognize their exposure to skillful propaganda and eventually lose interest in the Miramar Air Show.
We will work to steer the public to resist attending … in sufficient numbers to make the show not worth the time, effort, risk and expense.
Our goal is to effectively shut down the Miramar Air Show due to non-participation.