By Frank Gormlie / OB Rag
The “Villa Famosa” project is slated for a remodel of one already existing 2-story apartment building at the site on Camulos Drive, the 90 degree “turning” of the other already-existing 2-story, and the construction of a brand new third 2-story building that will hold 6 units.
Plans also call for a new driveway at Temecula Street.
The existing lot is on the edge of Famosa Slough at 2727 Camulos Dr.within the perimeters of the Peninsula Community Planning Board (ed. we don’t know when the project is scheduled for their meeting review). It’s on a .38 acre site. The applicant is Alex Miller, and the project manager at the City of San Diego is Derick Johnson.
One of the biggest challenges to the Slough from the project could be the construction of a 22-space underground garage.
Anytime there is construction of such magnitude immediately adjacent to this slough, it’s affected – deeply; so is its birdlife and other wildlife. The tranquility of the nesting areas will be substantially disturbed by the equipment and noise of the actual construction.
Signs are going up in the local community announcing the permit application. Here are some details from the Notice:
It’s a Process 3 Site Development Permit. To allow:
- an existing apartment building A to be relocated on site by turning the build 90 degrees to face Camulos Dr.,
- remodeling Builing B; and
- to allow construction of new building C containing 6124 sf for a new 2 story, 6 unit residential complex;
- 22 underground parking spaces w/ 2 motorcycle and 8 bike spaces, and
- new driveway at Temecula Street.