Has Ignored Calls for More Public Restrooms Downtown Since 2014
By Martha Sullivan / Change.org
The San Diego City government, led by Mayor Faulconer, has been told for three years that more public restrooms are needed downtown. But the Mayor has consistently cried poor mouth — despite spending $2.1 million on an unplanned EIR for an upgraded Qualcomm Football Stadium during this time.
From The Voice of San Diego:
“San Diego leaders have repeatedly been told that more public restrooms are needed downtown.
“A 2014 report by a task force assembled under ex-Mayor Bob Filner called on the city to develop a plan for adding public restrooms and replacing six that were being removed, and research whether it could cover bathroom maintenance costs with downtown parking revenues. The city attorney’s office repeatedly concluded the city can’t use that funding source for restrooms.
“A year later, the San Diego County Grand Jury declared the city needed more public restrooms and that the city was taking too long to add them. At the time, the city hadn’t added any public restrooms other than Portland Loos in more than a decade.”
The remainder of the Voice of San Diego article is here.
Sign the original petition:
We call upon California’s Attorney General, Xavier Becerra, to launch a criminal investigation of San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer for his willful neglect of the health and safety of homeless San Diegans over the past 1-2 years, which has resulted in 16 unwarranted deaths in San Diego from Hepatitis A so far. This is the largest outbreak of Hepatitis A in the nation in 20 years. In comparison, last year nationwide there were 67 deaths.
Such a criminal investigation is appropriate given the prosecution of 5 state and local government officials in Michigan by a special prosecutor for involuntary manslaughter, in the deaths of 12 residents of Flint MI from its notoriously contaminated water.
Read the remainder of the petition here.
Update: Here’s what San Diego is doing on Tuesday Morning…