Tell anyone you’re headed to Chicago and you’ll get a list of must-sees and -dos. I couldn’t even begin to scratch the surface during my short stay, but here’s what I learned:
- They don’t call it the Windy City for nothing. A more appropriate name might be The Wrath of God.
- As soon as you feel one raindrop, no matter how small, run for f$%*ing cover. Whatever you do, don’t listen to the locals when they, “Should be nothing―just some scattered showers later.”
- People don’t honk a quick f$%* you in Chicago; they scream full-on sentences with their horn that’ll make you blush.
- The views are breathtaking, especially from the John Hancock Observatory and the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower).
- If you can, load The Blues Brothers soundtrack onto whatever device you have. You’re going to want to listen to it.
- The buildings go all the way up, and the architecture is remarkable.
- Visit Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria. I preferred the “Lou,” which had the freshest tomatoes that I have ever tasted. But if you’re a meat lover, the “Malnati Chicago Classic” is for you. Just beware that beneath the cheese is a layer of thinly-sliced sausage covering the entire pie.
- Oh, while visiting Lou Malnati’s you might see Trueblood actor Joe Manganiello and squeal like a little girl before calling your husband to get credit for not chasing the hottest werewolf on TV down the street. I’m just saying that might happen.
All photos by Annie Lane, except where noted. [Read more…]